A B2B SaaS content writer focuses on crafting specialized content for businesses that offer cloud-based software solutions to other businesses. This role requires a unique blend of technical acumen, industry insights, and writing prowess to produce various forms of content like blog articles, whitepapers, user manuals, and promotional materials.
This guide covers everything you need to know to develop a career as a B2B SaaS content writer.
What’s the Market Demand for B2B SaaS Content Writers?
Statista reports that there are roughly 30,000 SaaS companies today, with the market expected to soar to a valuation of $307 billion by 2026. Content marketing is pivotal for these companies to educate their B2B audience, promote their offerings, and establish authority in a highly competitive market.
Even as AI technologies make inroads into content creation, the demand for skilled B2B SaaS content writers remains strong. AI may be able to handle basic writing tasks, but the nuanced expertise of a human writer is irreplaceable for the foreseeable future.
What Can a B2B SaaS Content Writer Expect to Earn?
Starting wages for B2B SaaS content writers often begin at about 10 cents per word. Depending on experience and the complexity of the project, earnings can escalate to as much as $1,000 per article.
However, it’s worth mentioning that the rise of AI content tools is exerting downward pressure on rates, although this is counterbalanced by the growing demand for specialized content.
Career Paths for a B2B SaaS Content Writer
The career landscape for a SaaS content writer in the B2B space is rich and varied. You can opt for freelance opportunities, working on a project basis, or securing a full-time role that offers stability and benefits.
Career progression opportunities for B2B writers can range from content creators and editors to strategists and marketing managers. Specialized sectors within B2B SaaS also offer an opportunity to become a subject matter expert. You’ll be able to charge more thanks to your expertise.
What Does a B2B SaaS Content Writer Do?
The responsibilities of a B2B SaaS content writer are multifaceted. Typically, they:
- Create Content: Produce diverse SaaS content types tailored for a B2B audience.
- Research Industry Trends: Stay updated on SaaS trends to create insightful content.
- SEO Optimization: Implement SEO best practices for better online visibility.
- Engage Audience: Craft narratives to educate and engage potential B2B clients.
- Strategize Content: Work with marketing teams to align content with business goals.
- Explain Technicalities: Translate complex tech jargon into layman’s terms.
- Ensure Quality: Edit and review content for clarity and accuracy.
These roles are just a starting point; the scope often broadens as you build relationships with clients or progress in your career.
How to Start a Career as a B2B SaaS Content Writer
Embarking on a career in B2B SaaS content writing is both thrilling and fulfilling. Here’s how to get started:
- Begin with Guest Posting: A great entry point is guest posting on reputable B2B SaaS blogs.
- Offer Free Samples: Provide some free content to a company you admire to showcase your skills.
- Compile a Portfolio: Use your guest posts and free samples to build a portfolio.
- Nurture Relationships: Once you’ve contributed some content, focus on building rapport and trust with the company.
- Broaden Your Scope: As trust is established, negotiate for more complex projects or a regular contributor role.
By following these steps, you’ll be well on your way to carving out a successful career as a B2B SaaS content writer.
Nico is the founder of Crunch Marketing, a SaaS marketing agency. He works with enterprise SaaS clients like Writer, Right Inbox, and Surfer SEO, helping them scale lead generation globally across EMEA, APAC, and other regions.